The Linksys SPA8000 8-Port IP Telephony Gateway (Figure 1) is a full-featured analog telephone adapter (ATA) for small businesses, providing enhanced communication services via a broadband connection to the Internet.
The Linksys SPA8000 features eight RJ-11 FXS ports to connect analog telephones to IP-based data networks and includes a single multiport RJ-21 50-pin connector, offering an alternative connection choice when deploying the telephony gateway in varied environments. The device also has one 10/100BASE-T RJ-45 Ethernet interface to connect to either a router or a multilayer switch.
Solid in design, the Cisco SPA8000 is an affordable solution that is ideally suited for use in business and consumer voice over IP (VoIP) service offerings, including call centers and multidwelling environments. Customers can protect and extend their investment by continuing to use their existing analog telephones and teleconferencing equipment.
Installed by the end user and remotely provisioned, configured, and maintained by the service provider, each Linksys SPA8000 converts voice traffic into data packets for transmission over an IP network and uses common standards for voice and data networking for reliable voice and fax operation.
- Toll-quality voice and carrier-grade feature support: The Linksys SPA8000 delivers clear, high-quality voice communication in diverse network conditions. Excellent voice quality in a demanding IP network is achieved via the advanced implementation of standard voice coding algorithms. The SPA8000 is interoperable with common telephony equipment such as voicemail, fax, private branch exchange (PBX), and interactive voice response systems.
- Large-scale deployment and management: The Linksys SPA8000 enables service providers to provide customized services to their subscribers. It can be remotely provisioned and supports dynamic, in-service software upgrades. A highly secure profile upload saves providers the time and expense of managing and preconfiguring or reconfiguring customer premises equipment (CPE).
- Ironclad security: Cisco understands that security for both end users and service providers is a fundamental requirement for a solid, carrier-grade telephony service. The Linksys SPA8000 supports highly secure, encryption-based methods for communication, provisioning, and servicing.
- Eight voice ports (RJ11) for analog phones or fax machines
- Impedance agnostics: eight configurable settings
- Call waiting, cancel call waiting, call waiting caller ID
- Caller ID with name and number (multinational variants)
- Caller ID blocking
- Call forwarding: no answer, busy, all
- Do not disturb
- Call transfer
- Three-way conference calling with local mixing
- Message waiting indication-visual and tone based
- Call return
- Call back on busy
- Call blocking with toll restriction
- Delayed disconnect
- Distinctive ringing-calling and called number
- Off-hook warning tone
- Selective/anonymous call rejection
- Touch-tone phone keypad configuration with interactive voice response (IVR)
- Fax: G.711 pass-through or real-time fax over IP via T.38 (T.38 support is dependent on fax machine and network/transport resilience)